In many residential areas of New Brunswick, residential permit parking exists to help ensure that on-street parking is not monopolized by adjacent commercial or institutional activities and is available to local residents.

The NBPA administers the Residential Permit Parking Program and is responsible for the issuance of permits and enforcement as stipulated by City Ordinance.

Residents and businesses wishing to park a vehicle on the street in Residential Permit Parking Program areas require a permit and a full understanding of the program.







Homeowner Permit

If you own and live in a home within a residential permit parking district you are entitled to up to 3 Homeowner Permits which are valid for up to 3 years.

To obtain a Homeowner Permit you must present your proof of ownership (Deed, Tax Bill or Mortgage Statement) along with a valid vehicle registration to the NBPA. You will receive a parking decal, which will be valid for up to 3 years depending on when you obtain the permit.

As a homeowner you are also entitled to 2 Homeowner Visitor Passes for your property.
Homeowner Permits and/or Visitor Passes are not replaceable if lost or stolen. Please see details on Visitor Permits below.

Landlord Permit

If you own a home within a residential permit parking district but rent it to other and you live outside the ward where the rental property is located you are entitled to a Landlord Permit. The Landlord Permit is for your use only when visiting the property and is assigned to a specific license plate number. This permit is not transferable.

To obtain a Landlord Permit you must present proof of ownership (Deed, Tax Bill, Current Mortgage Statement, or HUD Statement for recently purchased properties) and the valid vehicle registration for the vehicle you wish to assign the permit to – you may register up to two vehicles. The Landlord Permit is good for multiple properties within the ward. If you own multiple properties in different wards you will receive one Landlord Permit for each different ward.

A Landlord Permit is valid for one year from June 1st to May 31st and is not replaceable if lost or stolen.

Tenant Permit

If you are renting property within a Residential Permit Parking District in New Brunswick you may be eligible for a Tenant Permit which is valid for up to one year depending of the proof of residence you submit and the date you obtain the permit. A maximum of two Tenant Permits per dwelling unit will be issued on a first come, first served basis. One additional Tenant permit can be issued if all three tenants have their driver's license and vehicles registered to the New Brunswick address. If a vehicle is leased, the tenant must have the driver's license and insurance card registered to the New Brunswick address.

You can obtain a Tenant Permit at the NBPA office between 8:00am and 4:30pm Monday through Friday. You must present proof of residency such as one of the following:
• Current lease – lease must include your name, property address, duration of lease term, landlord's name and signature, and your signature to be considered valid.
• Notarized letter from the landlord
• Drivers license and Car Registration with the property address on it

Along with your proof of residence you need valid vehicle registration and valid driver's license. If the vehicle registration is in a different surname than yours you must also present a notarized letter from the vehicle owner authorizing you to use that vehicle.

A Tenant Permit may only be picked up by the individual applying for the permit. Once you receive your tenant decal it must be properly affixed to the vehicle you registered with the NBPA to be valid.

Visitor Permits

Visitor Permits must be obtained by the property owner at the NBPA Office. The property owner must provide the NBPA with a current tax bill, mortgage statement, or property deed in order to obtain the visitor permits. A one family structure is entitled to only one visitor permit. All other structures are entitled to a maximum of two visitor permits.

How long does the Visitor Permit last?
A visitor permit may be used and reused by visitors as long as the permit has not expired. The expiration date is clearly marked on the permit. Visitor Permits are issued annually and last from June 1st to June 1st.

Does a Visitor Permit allow me to park my vehicle anywhere?
No, vehicles using visitor permits must park within a 2-block radius of the address on the permit.

Visitor Passes are hangtag permits and must be displayed facing out from the rearview mirror when parked. They are not replaceable if lost or stolen.

Sublet Permit

To receive a Sublet Permit you must have an executed Sublet Agreement and the sublessor's original lease executed by the sublessor (tenant) and the landlord. Present these documents along with a valid driver's license and valid vehicle registration and you may receive a Sublet Permit valid for the term of the sublease.

A Sublet Permit is a hangtag permit and must be displayed facing out from the rearview mirror. It is not replaceable if lost or stolen.

Temporary Permit

The NBPA is aware that many residents are unfamiliar with residential permit parking programs and may not have the proper documentation to obtain a permit upon immediate residence in New Brunswick. If you move to a residential permit parking district and need several days to get the documentation necessary to obtain a permit the NBPA will issue you a Temporary Permit valid for one week (providing a permit is still available for issue at that residence).

No documentation of residency is necessary to obtain a Temporary Permit However you are required to present a valid drivers license. You may not receive subsequent temporary permits if you fail to present all required documentation within the weeks time.

A Temporary Permit is a hangtag permit and must be displayed facing out from the review mirror when the vehicle is parked. It is not replaceable if lost or stolen.


If you own a business within a designated residential parking district you may be eligible to receive Business Permits which will allow you to park your vehicle on a residential street.

To obtain a Business Permit you must submit a written request to the NBPA. The request should include:

• Business name
• Business address
• Business telephone number
• Number of permits requested

All requests for business permits will be reviewed by the NBPA. The review process will determine if the business is eligible for business permits and the number of permits that can be issued. The number of permits issued may be different/fewer than the number requested.


To accommodate the many businesses within the City of New Brunswick, there are parking areas designated as Loading Zones. If you own a business within the City of New Brunswick you may be entitled to a Loading Zone Permit. A Loading Zone permit entitles the vehicle displaying the permit to park in designated Loading Zones throughout the City for a limited time period.

Non-commercial vehicles displaying a Loading Zone Pass shall be limited to fifteen (15) minute parking in a designated Loading Zone.

Commercial Vehicles are authorized to park in designated Loading Zones for no longer than thirty (30) minutes.

To obtain a Loading Zone Permit you must submit a written request on business letterhead to the New Brunswick Parking Authority and include:

• Business Name
• Business Address
• Business Telephone Number

The NBPA will review your request and issue a permit. Only one Loading Zone permit per business will be issued.

A Loading Zone permit is not replaceable if lost or stolen.

Replacement Permits

No permit is to be photocopied or duplicated in any way. Use of a fraudulent or counterfeit permit may result in a summons and a fine up to $300.00.


If you purchase a new vehicle or your vehicle is incapacitated, you must remove and return your permit. If your vehicle has been in an accident or taken to the shop for emergency repairs, proof must be provided in order to obtain a temporary or replacement permit. A polic report, repair estimate, or a towing receipt will be accepted. A new permit will not be issued unless the permit on the old vehicle is returned. Permits can be removed with a razor. The permit must be returned even though it may come off damaged or in pieces.